1. How can I become an approved Torch volunteer?
Complete the Torch Clearance Policy and Application
Volunteer Screening Form
Authorization and Consent Form
Three Reference Forms
Copy of Driver’s License, Birth Certificate or Passport
Screening Fee ($25.00)
* Note: Renewal required every 3 years with KPMI
Check the Approved Torch Volunteers list on MyKairos.org to confirm approval status.
2. Would there be any conditions in a background check that would prevent me from being a Torch volunteer?
Yes, a volunteer cannot:
3. Once I am approved as a Torch volunteer, are there additional requirements from the Texas Juvenile Justice Department (TJJD)?
Yes. A volunteer assignment is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of:
Criminal and driving record check
Personal character references
Agreement of confidentiality and release of liability
Comprehensive new volunteer orientation
Volunteer Training Manual
* Note: Renewal required every 2 years with TJJD
4. What is the commitment to volunteer on a Torch Weekend?
5. What are the team training requirements to volunteer on a Torch Weekend?
There are six team meetings in preparation for each 2-1/2 day Weekend. They are typically 6 hours each and occur every other Saturday from 9 am - 3 pm leading up to the Weekend.
6. What is the commitment for Mentoring?